[Newsletter-en] Campaign Update & FOSDEM in Brussels

Vikings noreply at vikings.net
Wed Feb 1 18:20:33 UTC 2017

** Vikings Newsletter 20170201
0. Campaign update
1. Meet us at FOSDEM in Brussels on 4th & 5th of February 2017

** 0. Campaign update
I would like to thank all those who supported our campaign at goteo.org
and apologize for this long overdue campaign update.

We have missed the planned goal, but have received a lot of valuable
feedback that will be incorporated into our future plans. All supporters
should now have their contribution back. If this is not the case, please
contact hello at vikings dot net and we will take care of it.

Unfortunately, this crowdfunding experiment did not work. But this is
not the end of our project. Au contraire! Vikings will happen as
planned, with the difference that we will be building on existing,
independent data centers, without investing in own data center
infrastructure, apart from the hardware, software and (wo)manpower needed.

This lowers the initial costs. Though it should not go unmentioned that
this does not offer the self-sufficiency or physical security we would
like to have realized and from which all customers would have profited.

We hope that with the FlexVer system, which we talked about in the last
campaign update exactly one month ago[0,1], we will be able to address
this accordingly for everyone who has high security demands.

>From this situation we want to grow long term and eventually, in a few
years (or earlier), we will get to build our own data room for our
customers.
First of all though, we want to focus on the essentials, namely to begin
rolling out the services we have planned for you:
  * Storage boxes
  * Virtual Servers
  * Email
  * Dedicated servers/Root servers
  * Managed servers
  * Colocation

We are currently working on these products and will begin offering them
peu à peu. We will keep you up to date on our website and in this
newsletter.

To all past and future supporters:
If you would like to help us doing the above, you will soon be able to
pre-order your product at a discount. We will inform you as soon as
possible once this is possible.

** 1. Meet us at FOSDEM in Brussels on 4th & 5th of February 2017
The FOSDEM is a two-day conference on "Free Software", held annually in
Brussels. See also https://fosdem.org/.

This year we have a small booth at FOSDEM. If you are also there, we
look forward to your visit [2] in the K building next to the stand of
the FSFE!

[0] http://qttr.at/1mdz (goteo.org)
[1] http://qttr.at/1o8w (raptorengineering.com)
[2] https://fosdem.org/2017/practical/transportation/
--
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Cordialement/Met vriendelijke groet
Thomas Umbach

Web: https://www.vikings.net/
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/vikingslibre
Follow us on GNUsocial: https://quitter.se/vikings

Vikings
a division of SERVERBASE GmbH
Mergenthalerallee 10-12, 65760 Eschborn, Germany
Register Court: AG Frankfurt am Main
Register No.: HR B 84497, CEO: Thomas Umbach
Tax Office: Frankfurt am Main, VATIN: DE254094338

* Meet us at FOSDEM in Brussels / 4th & 5th of February 2017
https://fosdem.org/